know that life can be tough, but you are tougher. That you would be able to treat people with kindness and compassion because you know somehow we are all connected.
1. Go head be yourself. Whoever you feel like being at the moment. You may try on a lot of identities as you grow until you find one that matches who you are on the inside. Go ahead and love pink and purple, tulle and sparkles. Because one day you may only wear black and read dark poetry. I won't let anyone tell you that exploring the world of bubblegum colors and unicorns is going to make you a doormat or a bimbo.
2. Don't be afraid to stand out. Don't shrink your gifts and minimize your talents because you're afraid of what others think. Don't worry, you won't have to despise the accomplishments of others, or steal thunder that belongs to someone else, because you'll know that your thunder is right around the corner.
3. Value your voice. Don't muffle your voice because others are quiet. You words may contain a joke when someone needs a laugh. Don't worry about talking too much. You'll know not to take words lightly. Trust me, one way or the other, you will learn when to shut up.
4.Value your voice. The voice that whispers to your soul when you are quiet and still. The voice that sounds the alarm when you are about to choose what is not you. It's called 'intuition' and it's God's voice.
5. Don't be afraid of being wrong. Because you will be. Wrong. Many, many times. Worrying it about it will only steal your time and energy. Take it from me.
6. Don't fear Fear. If there is something that has to be done and your scared. Do it scared. If you don't you'll never know how big you can be.
7. Don't hate your body. It's works and we pray it always will. Don't look for wrinkles at 20 and don't disdain your skinny legs because one day you will look in the mirror and think, "Who's body is that?" Don't think straight hair is true beauty when your hair is curly. Don't look at the color of your skin and wish it were different. You may want to be chocolate like your mama now, and I am flattered, but you'll love your cafe au lait complexion. You won't be vain. I will help you to see your beauty and I will help you keep it in it's proper place.
8. Remember that you are no more special, talented or gifted than anyone else. Everyone come into the world with the same possibilities.
9. Don't equate performance with self worth. One day you may get cut from the soccer team or lose the science fair. You may be dumped by the love of your life or lose out on your dream job. Don't let the devastation trick you into thinking you are a failure.
10. Look to others as inspiration and sources of wisdom, but never ever substitute your definition of success with someone else's, including mine. Don't live your life for others. If you do - you will never grab hold of what belongs to you.